Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Chinese Nana

As I was writing my last post, I thought it would be nice to share some photos of my Chinese Nana who has in part inspired my love of China and Mandarin.


This is my Nana, Gladys McGargill, a few years ago on her 80th birthday. She was born in Australia, spent a few years in China, and then the family moved back to Australia for good. Nana spoke English and Mandarin when she was little but when they moved back to Australia, her father did not allow them to speak Mandarin anymore because they needed to do their best to fit into Australian society. This meant that Nana didn't remember any Mandarin...I actually know more than she did as an adult.

Here are a few cute photos of her when she was very young.




This is Nana's family. She is the girl on the far left. Apparently my great grandfather was a Chinese herbalist both in China and Australia. He had a shop (not sure if it would be called a shop, maybe practice, clinic??) in Little Bourke St. in Melbourne.


This is Nana with her two sisters. She is on the far right.


Here are Nana and her sisters on her wedding day when she married my grandfather, Alan Muir.


Nana travelled to China with her sisters about 20 years ago. Here are a couple of photos from her trip. I was about 8 when she went and always treasured the gifts she bought back for me. I even kept the wrapping paper for years. haha She bought me a beautiful pink, silk Chinese brocade jacket and an embroidered handbag. I still have them. :-)



This is my mum, Nana and I on my wedding day. 


This is Nana with her four daughters on her 80th birthday. My mum is second from the right.



Well, that's my Nana. She passed away a couple of years ago and I always wished I could have known more about her earlier life. In the last year before she died, I remember her telling some stories about when she lived in Ballarat in Victoria as a teenager and the things she and her sisters did. It was fascinating to hear how my great grandfather travelled into Melbourne from Ballarat each week and other funny stories about going to the theatre. I also had the opportunity of living in Melbourne for a few years and got to spend a little more time with Nana's sisters and my other Chinese relatives. I really enjoyed my time down there and got to attend a few big Chinese banquets which was a lot of fun. (I was particularly thrilled one time when we went to a restaurant that had Jay Chou music videos playing! You don't get that in Queensland! haha) It was great being able to try more authentic Chinese foods and be a part of my extended Chinese family. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello from Singapore. I happened to chance upon your blog and saw those lovely photos of your nana. How long have you been learning Mandarin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I've been learning Mandarin (mostly self taught while hubby was studying Mandarin at uni) very informally since 2004 but had lessons during 2010. Sadly I couldn't continue lessons due to my baby sitter going back to work and I have struggled to keep it up while chasing after my 2 little boys so I still haven't gotten very far. We are hoping and planning to move to China in 2014 for a few years so that is motivating me to try and keep up learning. I'm hoping to be able to take lessons again next year but that will all depend on if we have to move for hubby's work so everything is up in the air at the moment. Anyway, that was a long explanation. lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am so sorry to hear that gladys passed away. She married my grandfather "david mcgargill" I met her a few times and had correspondence with her mainly around christmas time after my grandfather passed on. I went to the house at caboolture a couple of times.

    Would love to keep in contact
    regards

    ReplyDelete