Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Miao Miao Chinese School Caboolture

I got an invitation today for my Chinese school's 2nd birthday and it reminded me that I should tell you a bit about the school.

My Chinese school is called Miao Miao Chinese School. It is one of the largest in Queensland with over 400 students at 4 different locations around Brisbane. The main center in Sunnybank is now 13 years old! They have classes at Sunnybank High, Centenary High, Southport High, and Tullawong High in Caboolture. Classes run for adults and school age children during school terms and each term is usually 9 or 10 weeks long. They teach simplified Chinese in the Beijing dialect which is the standard Mandarin taught throughout China.

I go to the branch in Caboolture. It holds classes on Saturday morning from 9:30-12:30. It consists of 3 50min lessons with breaks in between. There is a beginners class and an advanced class. Our teachers are native Chinese speakers and are very friendly and helpful.

I am in the beginners class. We learn pinyin (pronunciation), characters, speaking, reading, and writing. The class is a mix of children and adults. Because there is such a wide range of ages, we start out learning very simple things but these are very valuable foundations for more complex sentences and words.

I almost forgot, the classes cost $12/day or if you pay for the full term, it works out at about $10-$11/day. I found that this is very cheap compared to other places. You are in a class setting though so if you want really intensive lessons, then this isn't for you.

Here's the link to their website. You can view it in English or Chinese.

http://www.miaomiao.org/

1 comment:

  1. HI~~
    This is Claire from Bellmere, I am a Mandarin tutor. I was looking for some materials for my next class and saw your blog, so happy to see people like Mandarin.
    This is my e-mail: claire_chao@hotmail.com
    Feel free to contact me, I am still new in this area (moved here from Brisbane City) and would like to meet some new people here, we can have a cup of coffee and speaking Mandarin if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete